2.10.2009

Update

It's been forever since I updated my blog! I really suck at this.

Updates, updates...Let's see.

I started the Football Fever afghan last month. It was a very slow go. My husband is wanting the high school name spelled out in the end zones so I did a graph for that. The pattern says specifically not to carry the yarn through out the project. I don't really see how it would matter but I decided not to do it anyway since I didn't want my green yarn showing through the white and vice versa. What I ended up doing was cutting the yarn at every color change (which was OFTEN) and weaving the yarn ends in. I was having to stop every 3-4 rows to weave the ends in because they were getting so uncontrolable. This was highly frustrating to me! I hate weaving in ends. Then not to mention that as the item 'settles' little yarn ends end up poking their head out and you have to keep trimming them back. I kept setting the afghan aside and only working on it an hour or so each week because I dreaded it so much.



This past Wednesday night I went to the local knit-night and pulled my afghan out to show my aggravation with the project. A couple of the ladies suggested I try bobbins. This was a foreign concept to me even though I've seen it done in magazines. I just couldn't wrap my mind around how it would work. One lady explained it to me and a light went on! Soooooooooooooo, I started the afghan over this past weekend using the bobbins. Let me tell you what an enormous difference it has made! In just a matter of days I've completed more than half of what took a month to do using my old 'cut and weave' method. So, I'd like to thank the YO-C knit-night ladies for the fan-tab-ulous idea!! Now, I may actually get the afghan finished by football season!



What else? I haven't started my Babette blanket yet. I have all the materials ready and waiting, but I promised myself I wouldn't start it until I reached a certain point on the Football Fever afghan. I'm thinking somewhere around half way would work best. The Babette squares will be mindless so it'd be too easy for me to quit the Football afghan and become consumed with the Babette.

I did start a Homespun Lacy Squares afghan that I'll be using as a Prayer Blanket/Afghan/whatever. This will be my take along project. There are 20 squares in it and I'm hoping to have that finished in the next month or so. I don't know. We'll have to see. I'm in a couple of RAK (Random Acts of Kindness) groups on Ravelry and by some miracle of God I managed to collect 7 skeins of the exact same color and dye lot from several different people scattered across the US. It just so happens that on one of the yarn bands was a afghan pattern that required 7 skeins so I jumped on it. Keeps me from having to search online and in magazines and from becoming overwhelmed by the vast number of afghan selections out there...

That's my crochet updates. No completed projects lately which is a real bummer. I joined a South Park swap on Ravelry and I have to include something handmade in the package. I'll have to give that some thought and get that cranked out in the next couple of months. Should be fun though.

2 comments:

DaCraftyLady said...

the afghans sound great...can't wait to see the finished project..I know I have been bad at updating too... :(

Feral Housewife X said...

i have to agree that the bobbin work seems a lot neater than the original way!

i cant wait to see this... sounds so awesome!

i was glad to see you at group last night!

i kinda wish i hadnt gone... i am kind of peeved about the group afghan... i wont go into it here...but you can check my blog if you want to know details...

lets just say that the slipknot concert was a good choice since i got to work out some frustrations by headbanging! lol