2.20.2009

The Comings and Goings

The Football Fever afghan is still a slow go. I've only managed to get a few more rows finished. I guess I'm about half way through the end zone though so I've got that much going for me. I can't work on it while I'm watching TV because I get too distracted and I have to read the pattern from a chart. I love watching TV on weekday nights so that is limiting me a lot. I watch 'House' and '24' on Mondays, 'American Idol' on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and 'Grey's Anatomy' on Thursday. I know-I'm a freak but whatever. I've got a schedule and it works. Anyway, I put the afghan down this week to work on a Prayer Shawl for a lady at my church. That's much easier to work on through my favorite shows. I'll be finished with that today and free to pick up whatever else I decide tonight.
I found a fast and easy cardigan that I really want to make. It's a Chevron Lace Cardigan and the pattern is available on Ravelry or at http://milobo.wordpress.com/2008/11/22/chevron-lace-cardigan-pattern/ (I would love to include a link for you but my dumb computer won't allow it right now!) . I went and bought the yarn for it Wednesday. Most people on Ravelry said it can be completed in less than a week. I may attempt to finish it this weekend or at least get it started. I guess it depends on how long it takes for me to get gauge. I found the most perfect buttons for it on etsy. I still have to order them and then I'll have to wait for them to ship...so who knows when it'll be finished. I need to work on the afghan!


At the end of last year I posted about some changes I was wanting to make or some things I was going to strive to work at this year. One was eating better, drinking more water, and generally taking better care of myself. I started at the beginning of February with my attempts. So far I've been doing pretty good. I'm still not even close to drinking the recommended amount of water per day. I think I've worked myself up to 1/2 a liter of water a day...right...that's like 1/4 of the recommended daily intake. I suck. I hate water. I also said I wanted to cut out as many processed foods as possible. I had gotten in a bad habit of using boxed and bagged pasta mixes and rice mixes and using all canned vegetables. Most of my dinners were cooked in a microwave. I just got burnt out and lazy with my cooking. I haven't eaten any of the like in 3 weeks now. I've used all fresh produce and the meals have been so much better! I've also been checking out new cookbooks from the library in an attempt to make meals more exciting. I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I do all my meal planning on Saturdays and try to do my grocery shopping over the weekend as well. As mentioned earlier, I work better on a schedule.
In addition to the fresher less processed meals I've started exercising again. I joined with some friends in one of my Ravelry groups in doing the Couch to 5K running program. You can check it out at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml (again, can't link). Basically it's just alternating intervals of walking and running 3 times a week. Supposedly within 9 weeks of following this program you should be able to run 3 miles. I just finished my second week on the program. I'll be starting week 3 tomorrow. Surprisingly, I've enjoyed it. I'm also hoping to start some Pilate's on the alternating days.
I guess this is all a desperate attempt to find something that will help my stomach out. I'm eating lots of yogurt, smoothies, and drinking lots of herbal teas. We'll see after awhile if any of this proves beneficial.

Also, I think I'm going to start doing 'Open Letters' on my blog. I've had the idea for awhile but have been hesitant because they're so personal but I think it would be therapeutic. I've had more people than I can count say that they believe my stomach problems have manifested from all the things I keep inside and don't share and don't deal with. I just wanted to mention this so that you'd know what's going on because you may start seeing "Dear So and So..." a lot. I saw an Open Letter Thread on Ravelry and it's usually pretty interesting to read.

So, that's that. That's what I've been up to and what I'm going to be up too for awhile. Wish me luck...

No comments: