8.09.2008

More finished projects

In honor of the 2008 Olympics Ravelry.com started their own Olympics of sorts. A competition of yarnwork if you will-called the Ravelympics. I decided in true Olympic spirit to join the WIP Wrestling event in order to finally complete a Brown and Red Afghan I've been working on FOR-EV-ER! I figured the Ravelympics may be the only thing under the sun that would get me motivated to finish this horrible, horrible project. I started this afghan back at the beginning of the year. My full intentions were to stop at 4 squares and use it as a shawl. After several people looked at my 4 measly squares they thought it would be better suited as an afghan, so I obliged-having never made an afghan before. Bad idea. I'm a real impatient person. I'm in to instant gratification. Everyone that crochets/knits/whatever knows that afghans are far from instant gratification. I started out all GUNG-HO but that eagerness kind of dwindled down after several, several months went on. So, I signed up for the Ravelympics and with a new found excitement I set out on my project....and finished it!!! I crocheted this using a 6.00mm hook and Red Heart Soft Yarn in Red and Brown (De-Dah-De). Okay I don't know the technical names, but whatever. Now my only problem is deciding what to do with it. I can't decide if I should give it away, try selling it, or keeping it for myself. I'm not really a fan of how it turned out. I guess with me working on it for so long I just got tired of the colors and the pattern. It turned out to be a whoppin' 63 inches square! What do you think I should do with it???

Also, this weekend I finished my first amigurumi project!!! I made an Owl. I named him Hootie McHoot-Hoot. I crocheted him using a 4.00mm hook and Yarn Bee Boulce Traditions yarn. That yarn was a sheer nightmare to work with on amigurumi. Of course I knew it would be that way but being the realist that I am, I wanted to find the most life like colors and textures for an owl and this is what I came up with. The white and brown part of its eyes, its nose, and its ears are felt then I used screw on safety eyes. I plan on making several 'baby' owls to go with Hootie. I also have a list of other amigurumi projects lined up. I'm super excited about the way this turned out!!

Well, I guess I'm off to work on my next project.

No comments: