8.07.2008

I joined a knitting group-but I don't knit

Last night I went to my first ever knitting group meeting! Okay, so technically it's not a 'knitting' group but rather a yarnworks group because there were a few other hookers there besides myself. This was a pretty big step for me since I'm a little reserved but I've really wanted to join a group for awhile now. I mean, it's nice to just have someone understand your obsession with yarns and crafting. Seriously! My yarn bag goes EVERYWHERE with me. Sometimes I really feel pathetic. If I know ahead of time that I'll have 10 minutes to crochet...a hook and yarn goes with me. I can't help it. I try to, honestly, but it's just what I do. I have so many WONDERFUL projects lined up and so little time to do them all. In 10 minutes you can really accomplish a lot...especially if you have several 10 minute slots through out the day. Besides, you never know when you'll get stuck in a traffic jam, an elevator, a bathroom...Ha! Seriously! Well, not seriously about the bathroom, but you know, it's better to be prepared for these type emergencies.


The meeting went really well last night. Everyone was nice and very welcoming. There were so many talented people there. I really enjoyed looking at their current projects. I started an amigurumi owl. It will be my first amigurumi project ever so it's exciting. They even gave me a gift for being a first time attendee. It's a little tote with a skein of cotton yarn and a bamboo hook. I used the hook today and I love it. It's a 4.00mm. Generally, I use the larger hooks. My fav is 6.00mm but this hook is perfect for the amigurumi project I have going on and the ones I have coming up. So THANKS ! I really appreciate the gift. I certainly hope to attend again soon. They meet once a week.

The afghan in the picture is one that my grandmother made me as a wedding gift 5 years ago. She made it in fall colors because those are my favorite. I keep it on my bed and use it everynight. Recently my grandmother gave up knitting and crochet (except for the occasional knit dishcloth). She was diagnosed with dementia a little while back and she said that crochet and knitting gets on her nerves now. I'm afraid this may be the last afghan and I get from my grandmother so I'm thinking of preserving it or at least hanging it on a quilters rack. My husband's grandmother made an afghan in the exact same colors and I hope to one day inherit that. Then of course, I'd definitely have to make one in the same colors and have a set of 3. I just think that would be really neat thing to do. Crocheted afghans make a wonderful heirloom.

No comments: